Tuesday, November 1, 2022

A suite so big, it needs another post!

Continuing our tour of the suite brings us back out to the main living space. You must pass through the main living space to move between the bedrooms unless you use the balcony. Only a concern if you're trying not to wake someone using the sofa bed. Someone using the living space TV or the second bedroom TV might bother the other since the TVs are on each side of the same wall. The TV did not bother me while in the other bedroom. One thing I did struggle with though is not being able to keep the bedroom doors open. The steward set up the second bathroom door with a wedge that had to be forced under the bottom of the door to make it keep the door open. My bedroom door, seen open in the picture below, was apparently under a magic spell that only the steward could cast. We'd come back to the cabin after the morning cleaning and my bedroom door would be completely open without any assistive devices. Almost as if it had some sort of magnetic bond with the door stop. Once I closed the door for any reason, it would be impossible for me to get it to stay propped open again no matter how I tried opening or pushing on the door to trigger it to catch against the doorstop. Only a minor annoyance given that we were two adults who simply knocked when they needed something. The door did have some heavy weight to it and I found several times that even a light push would send it quickly out of my grasp to close with an unintentional slam. Definitely one to keep hold on the handle as you're closing so no fingers get caught, especially if you have little ones. 



The view looking back at the living space while standing in front of the main bedroom door.



Second door to the second bedroom closed. 


View from main bedroom doorway. Sliding door to the right opens onto the balcony by the dining table. With access to the balcony literally from every space but the bathroom, I'd be a little more vigilant if you had littles staying by themselves in any of the rooms. Same TV, vanity table with small drawers, and chair as the other bedroom.


This bedroom did not have the standard hairdryer in the desk drawer but instead a fancier one from Dyson with its own stand sitting on top of the desk/vanity. I don't normally use a hairdryer but did manage to knock it over a couple times sorting through all the paperwork I brought and accumulated during the sailing. 


A few more USB outlets than plug outlets at the desk. Also a small shelf under where the TV is mounted for snacks. Shoutout to ParoDeeJay for the snack shelf reference. :)

Just big enough for socks
My bedroom also had two nightstands with motion lights and a queen sized bed that could be split. I hung up nearly all of my clothes so I chose to leave my empty suitcase sitting out in front of the nightstand I didn't need. Differences in this bedroom include a little bench seat and a full length mirror. The light coming in from behind that bench seat and mirror is a full floor to ceiling window that looks out onto the front of your balcony and the MUTS screen. I've seen several people ask about whether the sound from MUTS can be heard while in your Sky Suite. The answer is...it depends. You will hear it more if you're on the balcony versus inside the cabin. You will hear it more either space if it's a musical or sports game being shown that would entice the crowd's reaction. However, if you're hard of hearing, have your own TV on, are in the other rooms of the suite, or all three at once like my Dad, then no you won't hear the sound from MUTS. It's muffled enough in this bedroom that I soon tuned it out. Only frustrating moment was when a primetime football game was playing lasting close to midnight and the flashing lights from the quickly changing TV picture would reflect through that window by the mirror. I like leaving some section of curtains open so I can see the ocean when I wake up during the night/early morning but I had to overlap the curtains closed and held that way with the bench pushed against them.


Motion activated light from under nightstand. 


View from this bedroom's balcony doors


View of MUTS screen from front window by closet. If you stand/sit facing the window, you could easily watch MUTS with a perfect view.



Another difference between the two bedrooms is that while the doors to the left are the same closet the other bedroom had, the doors on the right where the mirror is, is a whole other closet. This closet is where the nicer robes and slippers were stored as well as the soft coated hangers. Also a motion operated light but no shelving.


These next three pictures are of how I stored my clothes etc. in the closet that looked the same as the other bedroom. Except that the lifejackets were on top of the second closet. I could have used the open shelf above the hanging rods but I'm only 5'7" and had to back up across the room just to see up there for this picture, much less get anything back down that went up there. I used the bottom of the closet as a catch all for dirty laundry. It was on those clip hangers that I found laundry bags. Dad put in his dress shirts for pressing as soon as we unpacked and our steward had them back by the next morning. Dad also put in a regular bag of laundry mid week and it was back in a day or two. I opted out of doing laundry so we didn't need to ask for any more laundry bags when they weren't replenished.


I had bedside lamps that had a much thicker base than the other bedroom. It made for a little extra struggle trying to fit my charging phone, a water bottle, the cabin phone (which was in each room of the cabin) and the TV remote on the nightstand. Each lamp had one of these independent on/off switches so it was great to have a soft low light until you were ready to sleep.

Behind each nightstand had its own set of outlets both plugs and USB. Light switches for the main room lights and the little accent light such as the one framing the headboard were reachable from bed.


The white/grey lines running along the frame of the headboard lit up.



Each bedside had a small reading light that came on when raised


Heading into the main bathroom, we once again have the drain grate at the entrance. It became like my own personal The Floor Is Lava game.



Unlike the other bathroom, my bathroom had a tub. Seemed like it could have been a little longer but it was a nice height and easy to step into. Little surprised there is no drain by the tub given that there is nothing keeping water in from that hand held showerhead. One grab bar on the wall there to help get up from being in the tub however it seems to be more of a sit down and swing your legs in versus step in tub.


Plenty of fancier bath products. Since "on the books" we were two people staying in this suite, it was obvious that the cabin had been set up as if a married couple would only be using the main bedroom and bathroom. Only one set of handwashing soap was provided on day one and the second bathroom didn't have a full set of towels. Dad asked about getting soap for handwashing to April and a second set of these full size bath products appeared in our cabin. By the end of the day, the steward left a bottle of hand soap and lotion in Dad's bathroom so he did get what he truly needed. We both had a good laugh when we returned to our cabin one evening shortly after that to find bars of nice soap (not hotel/travel size) wrapped with a yellow ribbon left in each of our bathrooms. I'd say that is quite the commitment to cleanliness from Princess!




Same style vanity with shallow sink and light up mirror. I wish there was a way to turn off just the light bars inside the mirror but I only found one light switch for the whole bathroom.


We each had one of these extendable light up magnifying mirrors mounted to the wall by the main mirror. It's a good thing they were mounted to the wall because Dad wanted to bring his home.


No translucent privacy screen for my toilet. Just a customary toe smasher door stop for the shower door.




Shower stall, while facing differently, was pretty much the same size and setup in both bathrooms.


Shower door open fully to hit the door stop. In the rougher seas, I did walk in once or twice to find the shower door wide open. It never flooded the floor or seemed to leak but I did notice how it didn't seem very securely closed once inside. It never flung open though while showering. A small towel was provided each day for using as a bathmat in front of the shower but the shower door wouldn't glide over it. By week's end, I mastered the art of sticking a toe out to pull the towel along as my hands pulled the door until I had to fully be inside the shower. Then afterwards I would use the small towel under my feet like skis to move around the bathroom until the floor was dry.




Only one small storage shelf for my own shower products but it was fine for me since I only needed face wash and our gift wrapped bar soap in addition to the products provided in the mounted containers. If you need to bring your own big bottle products, they'll have to sit on the floor. 

The bathroom was designed like a boxy horseshoe with everything pushed against each wall. While better than your regular cabin bathroom's space, I can see how trying to get multiple family members ready in here would be like bumper cars. Even with just me using the sink and counter, I made a point of putting items away in my toiletry kit so that the space wouldn't get too cluttered. I've had cabins where the bag ends up falling into the tub or on the floor because there's barely any counter space so it was nice to have room to not only keep my bag on the counter but also fully open it up to lay flat while using it. If you would like to know where I found such a useful toiletry kit, check out my "What I pack to travel" post here.


Looking back into the bedroom. Does jumping over that doorway grate count as working off the cruise calories?


The amount of light given off by the motion activated under sink light. It does stay on for a little longer than the nightstand lights. I could leave the bathroom, shut the door, crawl back into bed, and still have about 30 seconds before that light disappeared from under the closed door.




Time to head out to the biggest selling point of this cabin...


No comments:

Post a Comment