Sunday, September 24, 2017

Regal Princess Baltic Cruise Day 5 - At Sea

So glad to have a day at sea after such a long port tour yesterday!




Dad wanted to sleep in this morning so I headed off to Sabatini's for breakfast alone. Got lots of attention from the wait staff as everyone seemed to worry about Dad not being there. I explained that he chose to sleep in and the next time we both got to dine at Sabatini's, everyone greeted him by commenting that it was good to see him awake again!



Starting things off right today with a donut. Still no powdered crème filled but cinnamon sugar isn't shabby either!

I didn't waffle on my choice for breakfast entrée either: 


After some trivia rounds and Dad finding great deals on port tees on sale for only $6.99 each, we split up to go our separate ways. Dad headed up to the shooting simulation with a new friend Howard we'd met through trivia (shout out to Howard and his wife Priscilla!) while I sought out lunch in the buffet.

Friendly new guy helping out at the buffet today: 

Took a lot of patience and crowd fighting to scan the buffet for lunch options today. Settled on some shrimp cooked scampi style and pot stickers before deciding I'd be better off heading to the grill.

Heavy winds, intermittent raining, and a damp chill had most people hunkered down indoors today. I passed a pool deck bar waiter who was dancing around to keep warm as he had no one sitting outside today to serve. I told this poor waiter that I don't know how he can stand to stay outside in this cold. He replied that he didn't mind it. I said "Oh, you've gotten used to it?" His reply: "No, I don't mind it because I'm getting paid!" Thank you for the laugh on this dreary day sir!

There were a few brave souls shivering in line at the grill. The grill staff had just put on several burgers to cook to appease the people in front of me who were ordering multiple plates. By the time my turn came around I changed my mind and ordered the burger too thinking they'd give me the last one remaining on the grill. Nope, had to stand there in the cold some more while they made a whole new large batch of burgers. By the time I made it back inside the buffet to sit and finally eat, I found the burger to taste stale. Dad later tried a hot dog from the grill and said it didn't taste right either. One thing I found interesting was that at least this day, they kept the bins of toppings like pickles and onions behind the counter so you had to ask the crew to add them. Don't know if it was a weather issue or a hint of sickness being on board as we still could serve ourselves everything in the buffet.

"You want fries with that?" never seems to be a question on cruise ship grill stations. I've tried ordering a hot dog and a hamburger some days and end up with a hot dog and fries on one plate and a hamburger and fries on the other plate. At least in this case they were the best thing on the plate.

Perhaps today's grill quality had something to do with this sign posted nearby: 

Formal night tonight so we had these chocolate treats delivered to our cabin: 
I think someone might want to rethink the mold they use for the shape on the right of this picture but then again, I have a dirty mind and a warped sense of humor. I smooshed in about half of these to see what was inside as I'm not a fan of chocolate with nuts and was pleasantly surprised to find that they all had the same simple crème filling. 





A Princess Gourmet Beef Burger topped with honey glazed ham - why not throw in a turkey breast on top and you can have all your holiday dinner options in one dish?















Finally got a mixed drink with dinner tonight - a virgin pina colada. All mocktails are included in the Soda and More drink package:

After Dad confirmed that the red pepper salsa with the Crabmeat and Monterey Jack Cheese Quiche came on the side, we both ordered it for our appetizers. And yes, he knew it had crabmeat in it and still ate it!

I also got the Butter Lettuce salad with ranch dressing. Dad got salads a few times during the cruise and ordered his favorite of blue cheese dressing. Every time he said it tasted more like a ranch dressing with no blue cheese flavor.

For my entrée I chose to go with the chef's special. I can't recall what they named the dish but figured I'd like it because it had shrimp. What I got however, was a dish with no flavor to the shrimp, a sauce that looked like it might as well have been just the juice left over after cooking the shrimp with no consistency or flavor, and a pile of half mashed, half chunks of potato. 


Tonight's dessert menu featured a true Norman Love Chocolate Journeys option:


I went with the Bananas Foster Flambé - a dish I'd had several times before. Unfortunately, this is what I was served tonight:

The banana looked like it had been petrified in addition to being close to fully rotten. Once I got through pushing aside the slivered almonds - a poor attempt at garnish - I found the already melting ice cream to be icy. Took one bite of the banana and it tasted as bad as it looks.

Is that a banana or corn on the cob in my dessert? 






















No comments:

Post a Comment