Monday, September 25, 2017

Regal Princess Baltic Cruise Day 6 - Tallinn

First, I'd like to apologize for anyone my Dad talked to about our activities today as he keeps referring to the city of Tallinn, Estonia as Tulum. He also referred to plans for our earlier Celebrity Equinox cruise's visit to Mexico by saying he'd already seen Chicken Itzee. Ahh, it's not just kids that say the darndest things!






In preparation for today's ship excursion, we looked up the tour description the night before and realized our tour of the old and new towns would cover the equivalent of 2 football fields in walking and 200 steps to climb. We always manage to have the best of intentions in planning but once on the cruise, there always seems to be that one tour we are just too worn out to attend. Instead, we elected to save our energy for the long day to come once we arrived in St. Petersburg.

With no where to rush this morning, we headed to breakfast in Sabatini's. Dad's go to for breakfast on Princess Cruises is the bagel with lox. No little foil packets of cream cheese for Sabatini's:

Photo courtesy of Dad who apparently fancies the aerial view when I hand him the camera for food pictures.


Another fruit plate to start my day. This is the general presentation when you order a fruit plate but they were happy to make Dad a plate of just melon fruits as well.

It only took my whole traveling history but finally, I have found someone who made fried eggs the way I like them at home! I like the yolks in my fried eggs to be all but hard boiled and this morning when I tried to explain it, the waiter replies "Oh you want eggs over medium then?" I never knew there was a version other than over easy! My quirky food preferences have an official term now, I feel so validated! :) Also a note about the bacon - we learned after several days of bacon so crisp it probably stood up on its own in the pan and screamed "Enough!", that we could actually request less crisp bacon. 

This isn't food related but I just found it funny that as we ate our breakfast this morning after we'd officially docked, our window view was soon obscured by the crew washing the outside windows. Perfectly fine with that of course, even enjoying when the host walked by and thought it was raining. What got the biggest chuckle from me though was when we saw what the crew was using to wash these windows. Million dollar company and Princess Cruises uses...
A paintbrush duct taped to a pole!

We walked over to the window to get the rest of the view and discovered several boxes of trash had been offloaded, most notably a large box of what looked like perfectly good pots and pans?

After some brunch time trivia we decided to head out and see what was of interest close to the port. Our nearest neighbor was the Costa Pacifica and the two large ships made quite the pair docked next to each other:

A short walk around the Old Town was soon enough for us especially as the large tour group crowds arrived. Some afternoon trivia and relaxing filled the rest of the time until dinner.


I had to try tonight's Princess Gourmet Beef Burger. Was fairly good but not something I'd go out of my way to get.


It was a full night of ordering from the always available menu as tonight I also had the appetizer portion of the famous fettucine alfredo. Both Dad and I were a little confused though by what looks like they'd already added the pepper in the kitchen whether we wanted it or not. The waiter still came over with the grinder and offered "fresh pepper." We never ordered the entrée sized portion this cruise so I can't offer any thoughts to the debate of whether the parmesan basket that normally cradles the noodles was still offered. Usually when you order just the appetizer portion, you don't get the parmesan basket but I've had previous cruises where I got it anyway. Other times I've ordered the entrée size it's been hit or miss as well so I guess it's more up to that voyage's chef than Princess' policy.


Now on to dessert - another night missing a Norman Love Chocolates specialty dessert:


Found a love for these dessert soufflés dining mostly in specialty restaurants on the Celebrity Equinox so I really wanted to try tonight's Orange Grand Marnier Soufflé. Didn't taste a single hint of orange anything but it was still tasty in a bread pudding sort of way. 










No comments:

Post a Comment