Thursday, January 2, 2020

American Cruise Lines - Day 15 - Jacksonville

Our two week journey has finally come to an end and we are definitely ready to get home. Included in our price for the cruise was complimentary transfers to the Jacksonville airport, scheduled for 8:30AM. We spend those few last moments in the cabin getting ready and triple checking to make sure we aren't leaving anything behind. Soon we head down to deck 1 to wait for the transfer buses as does about 2/3rds of the ship. There was an option for a light breakfast this morning but I didn't see many taking advantage of it.

For anyone planning to arrange for a private transfer or car service in Jacksonville, here's the docking address:
Seawall at Hyatt
225 E Coastline Dr.
Jacksonville, FL 32202

We enjoyed some last minute chats with new friends Evan and Linda as most everyone had gathered to stare out the windows of the dining salon. There had been some debate about where our gathered luggage would be arranged for pickup and the concerns that it would sit in the small entryway on deck 1. Another concern was the continued grey skies and whether our luggage would be sitting outside on the dock. Turns out it was the latter but thankfully it wasn't currently raining. Deckhands were already outside to help passengers maneuver on the gangway and in theory help with bags so at least the bags were never left alone.
Time continued to tick by and we all watched as the same private driver came, picked up people, left, and came back over and over. But still no sign of buses. We wondered where he was taking people since he was able to come back so quickly. We watched as Ali paced back and forth and would walk up one side of the street and down the other before returning to the ship and pacing some more. I tried not to focus too much on being able to see the side of the ship slowly pulling and floating back into the dock from these windows as I was feeling fine and didn't want to risk changing that.

Eventually, Ali makes an announcement over the ship intercom explaining that due to construction, the buses can't get right up to the ship and have been sitting in front of the Hyatt all this time. Their solution? Have every passenger get off the ship, grab their bags, and walk themselves and their bags the 2-3 blocks up the road to where the buses are parked. Might as well end the way we started I suppose. I guess I can look on the bright side and be thankful it was only about 50 of us by then all pouncing on the baggage area at once. Once at the buses, there was some organization with people checking you off by cabin number and directing you to certain buses based on that but it was like there were other crew members who hadn't been clued in. We sat on our directed bus for another 20-30 minutes while bags were swapped from one bus to the next and about 3 different crew members came onboard repeatedly to call out missing cabin numbers. Once things were finally settled both Cheree and Ali took turns coming on the buses to thank everyone and wish us a safe trip home. Our bus driver kept us all in good spirits cracking jokes during this whole process. We'd learned through pre-cruise research that the airport is about 30 minutes away from where the ship docks and after all that, we made great time.

Check in at Delta for both our flights today was quick and easy and for the first time in ages, TSA did not find some reason to give me any extra security checks! I must have finally broken my bad luck streak of having the body scanner magically find a reason for a pat down or metal detector signaling I'm the lucky winner of a random chemical test screening of my phone and/or hands.

We tried to go to Delta's lounge since the lounge in Hawaii's airport told us our tickets qualified despite not being an international flight. However, this time we were turned away since it wasn't an international flight. Not loving the inconsistency but I reached out to Delta for an explanation and they confirmed that for this trip we didn't qualify as our flights today didn't meet some criteria in their terms and conditions. Instead we ventured over to Chili's restaurant to seek out some brunch.

We each chose items from the breakfast options - a sausage bacon omelet for Dad and French toast with sausage for me. It was nice to have French toast that didn't taste like someone put a bread costume on an omelet.
Unfortunately, despite the great taste it all ended up being for naught because after eating one piece, I felt instantly nauseous and Dad said all the color had drained from my face. While I never did get sick, I'd just like to point out how being sick to your stomach and having to use the women's restroom in a public place don't gel so well. A lot of hurried walks only to be greeted by a line of 10 women all waiting. After trying to come back and eat some more, I gave up and Dad took care of the $30 bill. Dad picked me up some water from one of the airport stores and I spent the rest of my time today in between flights trying to feel better. A sarcastic thanks to the couple who chose to sit in front of me at the gate and devour their whole extra duffel bag of a picnic lunch. Nothing says a settled stomach like the smell of your homemade potato salad and sliced apples. Thankfully each flight was under 2 hours so I slept through most of the flights. Whether it was the time of day again, the changes in altitude, or the ginger ale I graciously accepted from the flight attendant on the 2nd flight, it was like the flip of a switch and I finally felt relief by the end of the 2nd flight. 

We arrived back home around 6PM and I went right into unpacking and sorting laundry mode. Am I glad I tried this new style of cruising and opened myself up to a new way of travel? Yes. Am I glad I visited these ports? Most of them, yes. Were there things that I wished had gone differently or were better? Umm yes, how did you get this far in the blog without knowing that answer? Was there anything I liked on this trip? Yes, of course! Would I sail on American Cruise Lines again? Let me consult my Magic 8-Ball:

Back at the beginning of this review I included a list of items that were to be above and beyond included for being an Eagle Society selected cruise: "These itineraries offer an enhanced experience as they include special features such as a welcome reception, onboard gifts, an exclusive dining experience, and VIP access at a historically significant venue." 

Let's tally up what of that actually happened:
1) A welcome reception - well there was snacks put out in the Chesapeake Lounge on day 1 (and day 8) and a ES members only cocktail reception each week. 🤷
2) Onboard gifts - anyone want a spare tote bag? 
3) An exclusive dining experience - umm, only dining we had was cocktail hour snacks, twice daily warm cookie promises, and 3 meals offered in the dining salon. I would have expected something like a different menu than everyone got or even better, rented space in a local restaurant for an included dinner in port. 👎
4) VIP access at a historically significant venue - only historically significant venue I saw on this cruise was part of a tour that I paid to go on. Much less get VIP access at any venue. 👎

My intention with this blog is not to convince or dissuade, simply to share and inform about my own personal experiences so that you can make an informed decision about where to spend your hard earned money. Just like the food tastes on a cruise ship, experiences are always subjective. You never know what you could end up loving and wanting more. Try all things that pique your interest. Get out and see the world whether it's across an ocean or in your own backyard. Challenge yourself to experience something or someplace new with this new year and as always safe travels!


No comments:

Post a Comment