Thursday, January 2, 2020

American Cruise Lines - Day 14 - Fernandina Beach/Jacksonville

After a rough night that was only so for us due to being out in open water (makes one really thankful for the stability of bigger ships), I woke up feeling better but still made a point of hydrating whenever I could. The sky was overcast and you could feel the outside chill both on the open deck and inside.


Since we arrived in Jacksonville a day early, I was a little surprised at how many fellow passengers chose to get off the ship today instead. I've never had a cruise have to go on to its debarkation port early before but I know that if you chose to join late or leave a cruise on the big lines early, there's a bunch of rules and special permissions if it's even allowed by law in the first place. I don't think it was anyone who'd had a flight home booked for tomorrow like we did. It was mostly those whose plans were to get a hotel in Jacksonville or head on to other Florida destinations after the cruise.

Side note: I've heard from some cruisers planning this itinerary that are confused about where the cruise ends because the way the schedule reads. If weather isn't an issue, your last port day (Granted this only works for the southern route like we were on. This cruise also goes the opposite direction back to Charleston.) will be in Fernandina Beach, FL aka Amelia Island. The true last morning of your cruise when everyone has to have debarked unless they are continuing on, you will then be in Jacksonville, FL. Therefore when planning a hotel stay or a flight after your cruise, search for one located in Jacksonville.

Here's a breakdown of what would have been our excursions today if we'd made it to Fernandina Beach, FL:

1) Fernandina Beach Seaport Exploration - $20 per person, wheelchair and scooter accessible, 1 1/2 hours long, activity level 2, cameras permitted, and restrooms available. A leisurely walking tour through the lovely seaport of Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island. Your walk will begin at the City Marina and will continue on to the seafood house for background on the pelican population and fisherman duties. Stroll through the historic streets and view blocks of restored Victorian homes, inns, churches, and more.

2) Amelia Island River Cruise - $30 per person, wheelchair and scooter accessible, 1 1/2 hours long, activity level 1, cameras permitted, and restrooms available. Explore the backwaters of Amelia Island and Eagan Creek on this narrated riverboat cruise, a beautiful way to learn the history of Fernandina. Highlights will include Fort Clinch, the Amelia Island Lighthouse, and viewing America's second oldest city from the waterway. This is the choice we picked even though neither really struck our interests.

Today was our second "last full day" of the cruise so from 7:30AM to 8:30AM, Cheree set up a table in the 2nd deck lounge for people to come settle their bills. And once again, we were incorrectly charged for Dad's tours. Dad took care of showing the same tours comped confirmation paper again and Cheree removed the charges. When he came back to the room where I was still getting ready for breakfast, he told me that it's a madhouse down at the lounge because so many people have wrong charges. When I later questioned how ACL would charge for these newly made up tours offered today if they'd closed out people's accounts this morning, Dad pointed out that all of our new tour options were considered complimentary for everyone.

Today's new arranged on the fly (or on the ship technically) tours are as follows:
1) Fernandina Motor Coach Excursion from 9AM-12:30PM. Board the motor coach for a 1 hour tour on Fernandina. Upon arrival, you will have the option of getting dropped off at the Maritime Museum, or at Front and Center St. to leisurely walk around the beach front town. If weather permits, there will be a small guided walking tour of Fernandina.

2) Jacksonville Excursion from 2PM-5:30PM. Board the motor coach for a guided tour of Jacksonville. Get the chance to shop around and experience the biggest continental city in the United States.

Already knowing that we didn't care to do the morning tour option, we headed down to breakfast.
I kept it simple with a cheese omelet and sausage:
I don't know if it was the ton of water I was drinking or a lack of appetite but I only got through a couple bites before I felt full.

The only scheduled activity this morning was a final presentation by Rachel. It was only described as a wrap up from the week. I returned to the room to relax. I had wanted to try going back down for some lunch even if it meant eating light but Dad felt that I should instead skip it. He claimed he wasn't hungry. Drawback to that is one of my migraine triggers is not eating something often enough so by mid afternoon, I had a bad headache though my stomach felt fine. Looking at today's lunch menu though, I'm not sure I'd have wanted anything on it anyway except for maybe the cheese ravioli option.




He did try to push for me (especially on my own) to go on the afternoon Jacksonville excursion but when it was first described as "a tour to go into town to shop" I wasn't interested. Later we heard it was more focused on city sights and history and Dad regretted not going. I gave him the option at the time to go on his own but he chose not to.

A reappearance of the previously unattended Bingo activity made it on to today's list and by 2:45PM I was going stir crazy in the cabin. Only so many episodes of Friends one can re-watch in a row. It was frustrating to feel fine while in my cabin and be missing activities onboard. Dad decided to come down to play Bingo with me in the Chesapeake Lounge and this time several people came to play. I did take the opportunity of being back near the snacks to get something to eat and more water. On big ships, Bingo is a popular extra fee activity and most of the time it's multi game blocks pulled off a tearpad for you to take in and play after paying. I don't usually spend the extra money to play but I've heard some of the newer ships feature playing on a tablet. Today, the bingo cards looked like they came from a party store set with sturdy cardboard cards featuring little sliding plastic covers over each number to mark them when called.
Prizes were basically a table full of ACL branded merchandise including extras of things we'd been given as gifts for being Eagle Society members. 
I played a couple rounds but after sitting in the all the way forward lounge for a while, I was starting to feel the vibration of the ship even though it was docked. Having to look down at and constantly hold my Bingo card at an angle to keep those tabs from sliding over was starting to bother my vertigo again. I became concerned that if I did win, I'd be too loopy to walk up to the prize table. Instead I opted to put aside my card and keep Dad company while he played. After another round, I decided being in the lounge was the real issue and assured Dad I was fine to make my own way back to the cabin. Once back on the 3rd deck, I felt more stable and split time between the cabin and the lounge to use the internet. Dad came back up to join me a short while later explaining that they'd only played about two more rounds and he'd lost them all. That's okay, the last thing we need is another souvenir labeled water bottle. When the younger couple each won a round, the new dining room manager running the game offered the option of picking bottles of wine instead. I think a few of the other winners went for that choice as well.

Rachel's wrap up talk was repeated at 4PM. I got a good chuckle when I spotted a funny mix-up in the afternoon talk's description. Here's what is printed on our schedule for this time slot: "If you missed her this morning, join your guest speaker, Rachel, in the Chesapeake Lounge as she gives her final evening Crab and Bacon Risotto, Vegetable Medley presentation to wrap up the entire week." Well gee Rachel, this might just be your tastiest talk yet. This folks, is why there are websites dedicated to hilarious auto correct fails. 

I don't know whether it was the time of day like a change in humidity or barometric pressure or simply that I'd spent so much time resting but by 5:30PM I was feeling significantly better and desperate to head down to dinner. Even though tonight's menu looked more in line with a big cruise line's upcharge specialty steakhouse restaurant and one full of choices I'd happily have devoured, I instead chose to play it safe and order off menu.

For an appetizer (and to see if my stomach let me eat more than a couple bites) I asked for a simple plate of fresh fruit. Dad loves melon so he often will ask for this when a fancier appetizer doesn't fit his "sophisticated palate." I'm usually picky when it comes to how tough/unripe melon can be so I was ecstatic when Kevin brought me out a plate of fresh berries. If there was a fruit salad option of just berries, I'd eat bowl after bowl. For the record I also love oranges, bananas, and apples but I'd rather eat those on their own. He was super considerate to us this trip especially after he saw that I wasn't feeling well offering tips and extra things to bring me. I could have eaten this whole plate (there was more on the plate than it looks in this picture) but I made myself stop 2/3rds through to make sure my stomach was still happy.

Here's Dad's order of the Grilled Ribeye Steak:
That little gnome shaped blob was hard as a rock and flopped over when Dad moved it with his fork. I deduced that it must be the blob formally known as the garlic and chive butter although I'm not sure where the Parmesan Chive Mashed Potatoes were either on this dish. He enjoyed the steak though.

What did I get for an off menu entrée? Grilled cheese, a nice comfort food staple. Now if it only came with non kettle cooked chips, just saying. I think they must have gone shopping because I finally got to enjoy a truly crisp dill pickle. I'm not sure what kind of cheese was in this sandwich but it was so delicious with a perfect toasting level and cheese melt ratio. Yes, I can be a foodie and love a good grilled cheese. :)


Chambord Chocolate Mousse - I didn't know what Chambord was so I ordered this based on the other words I recognized in the name of this dish. Turns out it's a black raspberry liquor so that explains why half the cup was covered in the raspberry puree you know I just love (note the sarcasm). I ate down the non puree side and left the rest.
After dinner we returned to the cabin to pack and decided to stay in for the evening. When Dad stepped out to put our suitcases in the hall for debarkation, he discovered our last Eagle Society gifts; a larger tote bag with rope handles and a new friend:

Guess a dolphin decided to follow me home after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment