Thursday, June 8, 2023

Is this food Luminae-zing or not?

 Dinner Night One: 

Amuse-Bouche - I think this was baby shrimp in a panko crusted ball


I chose the escargot from the MDR menu - one of their "classics" or "always available" options. Celebrity makes some of the best escargot!


Turkey Escarole Soup with Ditalini Pasta, Leeks, and Gruyere Croutons - Dad's appetizer from the Luminae menu. He enjoyed it.


Spinach and Ricotta Ravioli from the MDR entree menu. It was okay though I wish it had more to it than just four ravioli, sauce, and cheese. 


Grilled NY Strip Steak with Truffle Potato Puree, Bordelaise Sauce, Carrots, and Beet Port Reduction - Dad's entree from the Luminae menu. He definitely won tonight's entree round!


Every Luminae dessert choice had a nut component. Unfortunately, all of the straight ice cream options seemed to be icy tasting with actual surprise ice chunks. One of the MDR dessert choices was a fruit topped or fruit sauced cheesecake and Luminae was kind enough to bring me a slice without any of the fruit.


Day Two Breakfast:

Kudos to the larger glasses of orange juice without pulp. However we both agreed that it didn't taste like orange juice to us. Could have been a brand issue or the fact that I'm so used to Vitamin Water that regular orange juice seems too different now. I was glad to see the option of having my Vitamin Water. Especially since they'd bring me a cold bottle that I could easily drink from at breakfast and carry away with me.


Dad's favorite thing about Princess' breakfast is their bagel with lox plate. Here is what Celebrity refers to as Smoked Salmon - Capers, tomato, red onions, and egg. And yes, I've asked about how he won't eat salmon but will start every day of a cruise with "lox." It usually ends with "But lox is smoked salmon!" "Yeah, so?"


And of course I had to try Celebrity's Eggs Benedict. The menu lists three versions - classic, florentine, and Scottish Smoked Salmon. Not sure what makes it Scottish unless it had a deep accent that sounded like bagpipes while being smoked? I opted for the classic version. Bit of a disappointment compared to the taste and quality I remembered on our last Equinox sailing. English Muffins were too overly toasted and hard to cut. The pork sausage was my choice for a side. Other versions of sausage were chicken apple and kielbasa. 


Day 3 Breakfast:

After being delivered someone else's fruit plate and parfait by mistake earlier, we chose to order the fruit plate today. I wish I had gotten a picture before we reported the mistake because there was a noticeable difference in the quality between then and now. I'm guessing that we had a strawberry shortage because I've never seen a fruit plate with one strawberry diced up into cubes to make it look like more. The melon was pretty tough but I rarely seem to get melon that isn't when on a cruise.


Dad's entree choice of a cheese omelette with Applewood Smoked Bacon (English Back Bacon was the other option). The two types of potatoes offered are the Sauteed Fingerling he got upon suggestion from our server and Hash Browns. The potatoes came looking like they'd been prepared under a steamroller. He enjoyed the omelet and thought the bacon was okay.


My entree choice was two fried eggs over medium. Turns out over medium means different things to different chefs. Learned that there's also an "over hard" option on Celebrity that I'm guessing would have been the solid versus runny yolks. I too got the unrequested mushroom, tomato, asparagus mix on the side. The difference between us is that I actually ate some of it. I know I'm particular about only liking my breads barely toasted but this was one step back from being mistaken for a hockey puck. 

Why is there a clump of grey oatmeal on your plate you ask? Unfortunately, that's not oatmeal but instead the side of Hash Browns I ordered! I know there's two ways of making hash browns - shredded versus patties - but this seemed to only get the Hash part of the message. It was dryer lint grey, looked like it had been put in a panini press and I was unable to get a knife through it to even attempt to taste. I did mention the odd hash brown to our server but he just said yeah with a sigh like he gets daily complaints about it. I turned down his standard offer to bring something else.



No comments:

Post a Comment